Library Visits

You must have a school ID and a library pass signed by your teacher to check out books or use the computers.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Library Word of the Week

This week's word is brought to you by UnusedWords.com. Ms. D picked this work because it is a great combination of lexicon and espionage. Sometimes, words are compound words of easier/shorter words. If you know one of them, it is easier to figure out the compound word.


Lexpionage

The sleuthing of words and phrases
Related origin
The words book and dictionary stemmed from the 16th century Middle French, earlier Greek, word of lexicon, which we today know to be our collection of words, our vocabulary.
Espionage, meaning to spy, stems from Old French espion.
Why this word?
This is a great compound describing a person on the constant look for exciting and new words and phrases.
When I am asked for my job title, I usually say that I’m a linguist, a translator, a writer or an editor. For the next little while I’ll simply reply that “I am a lexpionage”!
How to use lexpionage?
Take a look above; buy you can also say that “Victoria is such a lexpionage… I’m sick and tired of her constant attempts to improve my language!”
Or… “Enough with this lexpionagism, don’t you have anything better to do?”
The beauty in non-word words, is that you can do whatever you want with it; there is no one to prove you wrong.
- See more at: http://unusedwords.com/2012/07/26/lexpionage/#sthash.wMsULacI.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment